[governance] Letter to Rod Beckstrom

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Sep 21 06:00:29 EDT 2009

On 09/21/2009 12:40 AM, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> At the same time, private bodies such as ICANN seem to adopt over the
> years more and more of the normative criteria and mechanisms that are
> typical for the democratic nation state.

Unfortunately many ill acts may have been adopted and have ossified into
near-irreversiblity by the time that those democratic criteria and
mechanisms begin to take effect.

Using ICANN as the example - Over the decade of its life so far it has
adopted many rules and procedures that greatly offend even the most
dull-witted sense of democratic accountability.  These include its
pro-trademark UDRP and privacy-intrusive whois rules.  Even if ICANN
were this night to become a paragon of Periclean democracy those noxious
rules would remain fixed in place.

It strikes me that if one adopts a gradualistic (and pragmatic) strategy
towards the introduction of democratic ideas into bodies of internet
governance that one ought also to incorporate into that strategy the
idea that ill acts done by those bodies be revisited and should cease if
they can not gain sufficient positive support for their continuance.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org