[governance] Halal Search Engine

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Sep 6 09:38:10 EDT 2009

On 6 Sep 2009, at 01:51, Ian Peter wrote:

> Doesn't sound much different to me to the Mammon search engine (aka
> Google)
> which includes in its search algorithms higher ratings for those who
> pay for
> certain types of advertising services though the same company.

I am not disputing this, but am wondering how you know.  Has ths been
documented and proven?  I may have missed it, but don't remember
seeing it.

that is not to say I haven't heard the accusation before, I have just
seen seen the evidence.

Also, calling Google - Mammon is derogatory and refers to evil and to
false gods.  it is not the same as saying the secular profit making
search engine.  i am not sure whether you meant evil when compared to
the Halal search engine that refers to real gods while google refers
to false gods. or just thought of it as a way to say secular.

(leaving aside the whole discussion of whether profit is theft and
whether all theft is evil and where gods of good and evil exist
etc ... - all wonderful topics in their opwn right)

thanks
a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org