[governance] Globalization and Representation

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 5 10:51:48 EDT 2009

I have seen the good and the bad of mass integration of ideas and commonality in our beautiful world community. I have witnessed the wastefields of Bhopal and Chernobyl. I have witnessed the caring hands of a Canadian doctor nurture and cure the ailments of a Tsunami victim. I have seen antibiotics administered to save,in rural Africa, that were donated by megaPharmas from Europe.

Our multinational huge MegaCorps have the capacity to ravage cultures and to destroy whole ways of life. But they also have the capacity to care and to raise up out of poverty and ignorance. Our bombarding governments sometimes act by dropping bombs, but indeed more often drop humanitarian aid.

Within this great burgeoning world of telecommunications we have seen an explosion of information.  We have seen an explosion of huge conglomerates controlling and manipulating our very ability to say "I love you". They have expanded and built huge webs of corporate control and effects on existing governance adaptations.

They have to date not made significant impacts in the areas of preservation of Natural Resources and preservation of Culture.  They have decidedly refused to accept that with this new technology there is a corresponding duty to provide for the individual in any manner.  They have had ample opportunity. From Bill Gates to TelMex, from Sony to the EU. They have chosen not to incorporate the simple and universal concept that those most effected should have a say in the use of what has become an essential tool of life.

We must now begin the task to "hold their feet to the fire". We must insist that if the US Government is too weak to demand through their Department of Commerce the enactment of controls that establish representation of users, they must cede the control over to a body with the dignity and strength to enforce basic human rights. If the US President is too beholding to the corporations and money brokers to create a system that ensures universal sufferage amoung users of communication systems then he must have the courage to give the power to someone who will.

I promise you as a student of history; that if we do not give the governed a voice in their governance bad things will happen. We will walk backward in dignity. We will lose control over our ability to effectively express ourselves. We will see a rise in discrimination and a wresting of control over our lives never witnessed. We have freed ourselves from the tyranny of physical slavery and masters over servants. We must not sit by and allow a new and "braver" master to control our thoughts and communication with each other in a slavery far worse than physical bondage.