[governance] Representation through the TLD, Practical Approach

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 5 10:11:15 EDT 2009

It is time to begin the long process of giving internet users the right to a voice in the governance of the Internet. Not representation tied to a particular group but as individuals.

It is time to make the operators of the TLDs responsive and require them to create representation of the users.
They have the databases.  They have the monopolies. They have the technologies.  They operate under permission and not right. It is time to make their continued operating licenses contingent upon a solid and reliable demonstration of providing users representation in decisions on how the Internet is governed. We give them license to monopolize and control communications, we must make them have a corresponding duty to the user.

The methods can run from easy to complex. The questions of only representing domain name holders versus users will work their way out. ccTLDs will need to be addressed, but it is anticipated they are run by contractors, at the whim of the duly elected officials.

ICANN can make this operational and required. They can and should set as a condition to continued operation or new license a structure put in place for effective voting and representation of individuals, using and owning domain names. Anyone who elects to register as an individual.

The IGF or other designated group by the UN should be chartered to asure appropriate voting and election standards and monitoring. All systems and experts are in place. This very list is showing a demonstrable willingness to work hard and openly to garauntee appropriate voting and verifiable results. This very list can sit in judgment of the guidelines established, it is filled with experts and ideologues from throughout our wonderful global community.