AW: [governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 7 00:51:58 EDT 2009

Wolfgang (and Avri and McTim)

We are all very unhappy with our present 'representative' democratic
governance regimes, and seek to add more participatory layers and levers
to it. You would not believe the kind of work being done or at least
attempted  in India on this. we are ourselves are strongly in some such
project, known variously under the labels of 'deepening democracy',
communitization, open government, or even participatory development
processes. So, the virtue of improving governance system by enhancing
participation cannot be claimed solely by certain global efforts, often
with techno-centric notions of assumed equality of people to start with,
highly individualized with disregard to social  groups based exclusions,
and also ignnoring many other structural issues.

In the specific context of governance of digital spaces (but also in the
larger context) what is more significant ignored by these efforts or
claims of new systems of direct and participatory democracy is the
simultaneous, and strongly manifest, move towards corporates taking
control of much of global 'governance' which to say the least is not
democracy enhancing. They mostly just close their eyes to it. The
neo-liberal system takes a lot of advantage  of this  fact, if not
acquiescence. Multistakeholder models of policy making have been used in
India to bring in monopolistic exploitative software models in schools
in India and to lock in schools to paid commercial content rather than
explore the best potential of collaborative content for schools....

I often and in a very engaged manner discuss the possibilities of new
participatory forms to enhance our democracies with anyone who share our
fears of what neoliberlaism is, or use the simpler word corporates are,
doing - not in one-off but a systematic manner - to the fibre and future
of our democracies. I dont engage so well if I do not notice sensitivity
(without needing to completely agree with me) to this issue on the other
side.... This corresponds to the reaosn why so many who are so strongly
engaged with promoting people's democracy or participative democracy,
especially in developing countries  (read about one of India foremost
grassroots movements Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan) look askance at, in
fact are mostly directly critical of, these new techno-centric visions
of new forms of governance, without focusing enough on how their vision
and efforts get placed in the overall struggle for democracy and social
justice...

parminder