[governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 13:37:46 EDT 2009

Guten Tag,

I agree that there exists a slippery slope where political actors get
more and more removed from democratic authority and accountability via
layers of what amount to insulation (appointment, etc.)  At some
point, it becomes so attenuated that there's no sufficient democratic
control left. In that case, at least under state law in the US (some
bad US Supreme Court decisions make federal law more dicey), it is
clear that the "nondelegation doctrine" will invalidate the action
because there is not a sufficient tie to democratic accountability
such that we can fairly say that the action of the person with
delegated authority from the legislature or congress was done with
sufficient oversight and standards attached to it that we can fairly
say that the legislature or Congress is still in charge (thus
vindicating democracy's control).  It's a control test, pure and
simple.

In the case of ICANN present here, we don't have to reach the slippery
slope issues above because ICANN expressly claims "independence" that,
at its very core, requires lack of control, thus defeating
accountability to any democratic constituency.

I freely admit that US-only control is not desirable, but when the
choice is between democratic control by a single large pluralistic
nation versus zero democratic control with a facade of globalism and
no real way to build global democratic control, the choice is obvious
because nobody globally is better off than they were before, it's just
the US that is worse off, and democracy is much worse off, and because
democracy is something the globe has an interest in, it's a loss for
the whole world in addition to a loss for the US public.

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor

PS In quoting Pres. Truman I only do so to give credit for the
quotation, and to approve in this instance the content of it, but not
to approve everything else that speaker did, nor for that matter do
any of my quotations mean to imply such overall approval, especially
in the case of the second atomic bomb on Nagasaki, which was more
indefensible than the first on Hiroshima.

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1
Ishpeming, MI  49849
lehto.paul at gmail.com