[governance] ICANN/USG Affirmation of Commitments

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 14 00:12:55 EDT 2009

> What the Internet has enabled is to add a layer which can combine
> representative with participatory democracy.

I believe there is very little evidence to this effect.

The Internet, like other electronic media, _can_ speed up the feedback
loops, from governed to those governing, and in the reverse
direction.  Whether that occurs and has effect on those governing
turns, as usual, on the humans in the loops.  Are they engaged?  do
they care?  do they respond? etc, etc.

There are plenty of modern day cases, such as the miraculous turn
around in US administrations where all the old verities still, so
sadly, apply - polarized hard right versus hard left, etc.

And the 'representatives' still make the decisions.  Just as one for
instance, financial interests in the US still call those shots,
through the elected 'representatives,' never mind a near-death
experience aka almost-a-Depression.

> The principle of multistakeholderism is the very concrete outcome of
> this development.

Again, I believe an accurate analysis sees the emergence of other than
state actors onto the governance stage as part of a complicated
evolution over quite some time.  Certainly, technologies play some
part.  But numerous factors play a part, certainly, in cases, with
much more impact than comms tech.

Blithe propositions, elevating our favorite stuff, are tempting.  But
somewhat more grounded analysis may well serve us more accurately.

David
     governance at lists.cpsr.org