[governance] What happened with the hubs?

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Nov 25 02:49:55 EST 2009

At one of the workshops I participated in, the 'Development Agenda'
workshop on the 17th organised by Bill Drake, remote participation
worked extremely well.

This must in large part have to do with Derrick Cogburn's excellent
handling of the process, as well as Bill's sensitivity to the remote
participants, and the fact that it was a three hour workshop which meant
there was sufficient time to include the remote participants.

I also found it helpful as a panellist to have the remote participation
(Eluminate) interface open on my laptop which enabled me to interact
with the remote participants directly.

Personally I feel that while there is still a long way to go, remote
participation was much more effective this year than in the previous
IGFs.

Anriette

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 07:23 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <2bd2431a0911241230x59109c06k5325b69ddf9ec2a at mail.gmail.com>,
> at 15:30:35 on Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Antonio Medina Gómez
> <amedinagomez at gmail.com> writes
> >We coordinate the IGF Colombia and gives us the opportunity to
> >participate virtually the IGF in Egypt. The work is of great
> >importance.
> >I think that we really a great experience from the Remote Hub and this
> >is profit and not lost.
>
> This year the streamed output from the IGF was very good, and there's an
> excellent archive of video material on the IGF website; both of which
> are a great benefit. My question, however, was about the flow of
> information in the other direction.
>
> >2009/11/24 Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com>
> >  Just interested to know how well the remote participation worked. As
> >  a conscientious on-site attendee all week, I only heard one
> >  intervention/question arrive via the remote participation.
> >
> >  Was that because they had little to say, or was there some other
> >  issue?

anriette esterhuysen - executive director
association for progressive communications
p o box 29755 melville - south africa 2109
anriette at apc.org - tel/fax + 27 11 726 1692
http://www.apc.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org