[governance] Re: IDN's Internationalized Domain Names - A New

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Mon Nov 2 22:40:09 EST 2009

2009/11/2 George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com>:
> Izumi,
>
> [I am in Korea and for some unknown rason, I am unable to send from the
> account that the list accepts.  So even though this is also addressed to the
> list, it will be rejected.  Please make sure that the text below also gets
> to the list, with your response.  Thanks!]
>
> If I understand you correctly, the planned competitive bidding would imply
> that someone initially controls the name and will receive the money
> resulting from the highest bid.
>
> To my knowledge, the ICANN ccNSO is not accepting competitive bids, is it?

I have not heard about that, but I am not knowledgeable about ccNSO.
 I do appreciate if you could show me the reference.
And I am not sure how much ccNSO has the jurisdiction over the
selection of ccTLD manager.

Maybe I should not have used the word "bid". There will be a competitive
selection, based on certain criteria set forth by the Telecommunication
Council of the MIC, which was composed of professors, business leaders
and consumer group expert, and by a selection committee that will
be established by Japan Internet Domain Name Council (JIDNC).
JIDNC may charge some fee for application and also to the winner,
but there are processing fee and no surplus is expected.

By the way, I am not "representing" JIDNC, but one member of its steering
committee. So this is just my personal observation.

The result of the selection committee will be endorsed first by JIDNC
and then by the Ministry so that ICANN will approve it. The latter is in line
with the IDN ccTLD Fast Track procedure.

After one year of operation, JIDNC is tasked to carry out the oversight/
audit function for the new registry is in compliant with the public interest.
Terms and conditions for this task is not yet set precisely. Certain fee
for the audit may be imposed to the selected registry.

>  That leads me to two questions:
>
> 1. Who gets the money and what degrees of freedom will they have to use it?

So this is not quite the valid question at this moment as no surplus
is expected for the selection.

> 2. What is the implication for an increase in registrant prices in this
> domain?

I am not clear about the question. "increase in registrant prices" for
the new IDN ccTLD, or to the existing ccTLD, dot jp?  In any case,
the new IDN price is nowhere decided as the registry is not there yet,
and dot jp prices has nothing to do with the IDN at this moment.
Maybe I misunderstand the intent of your question.

> Please note that I speak for myself here and not for ICANN.

I also speak for only myself.  But thank you for the question.

izumi

     governance at lists.cpsr.org