[governance] Re: IDN's Internationalized Domain Names - A New

Charles Mok (gmail) charlespmok at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 03:33:36 EST 2009

Dear Izumi,

Hats off to Japan for doing it and for setting a pioneering example for the
rest of the world.  Pls keep us updated of the process, as it should be
useful for the rest of us when we try to state the same kind of case to our
governments/bureaucracies.

Thank you,
charles

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Thanks Milton,
>
> As you can imagine, the process is not an easy one - and will continue
> to be so. One camp wants for competition, another values consistency.
>
> As far as I know, no other ccTLD at this point plans to introduce
> plural registry for the new IDN - all existing registry will also run
> the IDN.  But, I heard that in China, a new registry is being created,
> for the new gTLD, but also they might run for city TLDs such as
> Beijing or Shanghai - the government rep lady said in Sydney said that
> want to introduce competition.
>
> izumi
>
> 2009/11/2 Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>:
> > This is really great, Izumi. I spoke with someone from JPRS at the Seoul
> meeting and she hinted that Japan would take a more open and competitive
> approach to the IDN fast track. This is a model policy that I wish other
> countries would follow. Let us know how it works out.

《「電子.書」何去何從?》  --
http://www.hkej.com/template/forum/php/forum_details.php?blog_posts_id=20878
Join Internet Society Hong Kong 加入香港互聯網協會 --
https://www.isoc.hk/membership_1.html
Blog: www.charlesmok.hk ; Facebook/Twitter: charlesmok