[governance] Re: IDN's Internationalized Domain Names - A New Era

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Sun Nov 1 12:45:00 EST 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 09:05:42PM -0700,
 David Goldstein <goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au> wrote
 a message of 112 lines which said:

> Giving people whose language is not Latin-based the ability to use
> domain names is very significant.

So what? Nobody said the opposite. The point is that it is old news,
it is now six years since the introduction of IDN. ICANN's
announcement means very little.

> I guess many of those whose languages are Latin-based can't think
> outside the square and appreciate this.

Again, what is the relationship with what I wrote?

> Whether you like ICANN or not, there was a lot of work done to
> ensure IDNs were safe and secure to use.

There was a lot of work for IDN. IETF people for the standardization,
software authors for the libraries, registry employees for the
introduction of IDN in their registry, such as .JP or .CN (both were
among the first). ICANN did nothing significant except spreading FUD
about mysterious "dangers" and holding expensive meetings.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org