[governance] Re: IDN's Internationalized Domain Names - A New Era

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Mon Nov 2 07:59:07 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 05:29:26PM +0900,
 Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote
 a message of 26 lines which said:

> but what you are doing is not differentiating between idns having
> been available at the second level for a long time and only now at
> the first level.

I believe I understand the difference. For people using Latin scripts
(for instance in german or french), the fact that the TLD is in ASCII
is not a big issue. For people with non-Latin scripts and, specially
if they write right-to-left, it is a more severe problem to have the
TLD in ASCII. So, allowing IDN in the root is a welcome step.

My point was not that nothing happened in Seoul, just that the ICANN
announcement was NOT the introduction of IDN in the DNS, something
that happened six years ago.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org