[governance] Re: IDN's Internationalized Domain Names - A New Era

Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google tracyhackshaw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 13:13:58 EST 2009

It's passing strange that the community of potential IDN users - at least
those who were in Seoul last week (where I was) -  including many of those
people mentioned here - seemed to have genuinely and unanimously welcomed
this in spite of the negatives which have appeared in this thread.

BTW, for those who are interested, the public testing of IDNs facilitated by
the dreaded ICANN has been and continues to be available at
http://idn.icann.org/IDNwiki

<http://idn.icann.org/IDNwiki>Within that article are links to the
historical aspects of the IDN process. The historical timeline behind the
approval of the IDN Fast Track (implementation) process (which is what the
Board approved, as opposed to the fundamental issue of IDNs per se is
available thru the following presentation by Baher Esmat of ICANN at
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/idns-internet-week-tunis-aug08.pdf`and
via the presentation of James Seng at APNIC 2009 in Beijing at
http://meetings.apnic.net/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/14009/seng-idn-overview.pdf

See also http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/idncwg.htm

For those who are interested in the next major upcoming change why not take
a look now at the historical process behind the new gTLDs at
http://www.icann.com/en/topics/new-gtlds/history-en.htm

Best wishes.

Tracy