[governance] JPA

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:33:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:
> You are not the only one who suggests administrative law as a frame of
> reference. I understand the pragmatic reasons you mention. Yet, such a model
> would privilege the legal and political tradition of one country over all
> others and it would not really address the criticism of unilateral control
> in Internet governance.

but advocating the end of the JPA would.  I find it immensely rich
that those who have railed against this for so long now seem to want
to delay ICANNs independence.

I for one am against any intergovernmental "oversight".  The ICANN
Board provides this. XXX shows us the dangers of giving gov't too free
a hand.

It's called "industry self-regulation", because until fairly recently,
that's who (mostly) took the time to get involved.  If CS throws
enough people at enough silos, in a decade it could be called
"Internet user self regulation".

The silverbacks in the Internet community remind us occasionally that
it used to be "one guy with a notebook". We've already made it way
more complicated than it need be, let's not complicate matters
further.

--
Cheers,

McTim