[governance] JPA

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed May 27 10:46:43 EDT 2009

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> > I also think that suggesting an 'international judidical body'
> > for adjudication CIR/ related IG issues as a more urgent step
> > would be useful, since a full treaty process could take long
> > time. The model and legal basis for such a judicial or quasi-
> > judicial body can be discussed. ,
>
> Same issue as my last message.
> What rules/law does this quasi-judicial body apply? Without that, it's
> useless second-guess or a dangerous political bypass mechanism.
> We've tried to skip that stage for 10- years and it hasn't worked.
> Let's get down to it.

Milton

I have always clearly stated my preference for a global system of
policies and rules in IG - legitimately arrived at. You know that from
our work on framework convention DC and then also the effort to get
enhanced cooperation thing out of the closets. However, a statement of
an ideal and desired state is hardly enough. And here I was trying to
see if Ginger's and Ian's effort to get a caucus statement can roll forward.

One needs to go into fuzzy areas as we practice real politik and
negotiate the way forward. It is in this regard such proposals as a
judicial or quasi-judicial body is being floated. It is proposed to be
done at the same time as some kind of movement is shaped towards a
treaty process. Your email response to Jeanette relates in detail your
position on what is the desirable state, which, as you know, I
completely agree with. But we also need to contribute effort on seeing
how we can actually move towards that state. It is this respect I
proposed this interim stage. Among others it also has the benefit of
being a part of recent set of proposals by Commissioner Reding.

As for it becoming a 'useless second-guess or a dangerous political
bypass mechanism' the problem remains, but I think a quasi-judicial
panel can be provided better safeguards against this problem than the
present GAC. And the treaty process should in any case start moving.

If you just propose - ' renew the JPA till we have a treaty', many would
read it as just 'renew the JPA, dont let it lapse'. We need to push the
process forward, and I am open to suggestions.

parminder