[governance] IGF review

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Tue May 26 12:18:14 EDT 2009

On 25-May-09, at 1:05 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Michael. I can caricature people with the best of them. So you may
> as well try to engage with different viewpoints seriously, rather
> than dismissively, if only for self-protection
> purposes.  ..................  Services and infrastructures COST
> MONEY to deliver, Michael, and unless you have some new method of
> generating the financial, physical and human resources to build
> them, you aren't helping much.

The first statement is definitely supported by the second, thus
demonstrating how difficult it is to find the right balance in
admonition (see: John, Chapter 8, Verse 7).  Perhaps Ginger Paque's
gentle questions are a better approach than tit for tat?

> On 25-May-09, at 7:20 PM, Ginger Paque wrote:
>>  I wonder if it is possible to bring the focus back to whether or
>> how the IGF process can or should affect this whole situation. Is
>> this possible? Has the IGF process helped? How could it? Do we
>> have something concrete to say about the IGF process? Is there a
>> way to evaluate (or review) the IGF?

Actually, I don't see how noting that actions COST MONEY is all that
helpful either.  Maybe it's a more useful starting point to assume
there's always some money somewhere.  So what's really at issue in
decision-making is the set of assumptions about how it will be
spent.  I too am not convinced that the business sector is the sole
source of value, even of economic value.  I am convinced that an
individual who connects in a context of mutual understanding
generates value, even economic value.

Here  are some things I've learned about shaping development
assumptions and "generating the financial, physical and human
resources" to "build infrastructure," ... and some thoughts on how
they might connect to an IGF evaluation process.

First:
There is a chicken and egg relationship between cultural shifts and
specific actions based on awareness of the new potentials for
development they unleash.  An example of a significant cultural shift
with feedback development implications is what we now know about
educating women: "We believe that long-term cultural shifts are
important in bringing greater equality between men and women, but
that both basic investment in human development in poorer nations,
and structural policy reforms designed to reduce sex discrimination
and expand opportunities for woman, can accelerate the pace of change
in the lives of men and women."  (Ingelhart and Norris. Rising tide:
gender equality and cultural change around the world. Cambridge
University Press, 2003. 163).  I also like Hans Rosling's use of data
to show that social change comes before economic change, for example
that development works much faster if you are healthy first than if
you are wealthy first (see Hans Rosling: Debunking third-world myths
with the best stats you've ever seen. TED, posted June 2006.   http://
www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/92). Rosling states that, if we
are to avoid pre-conceived ideas of what's happening, "The
improvement of the world must be highly contexturalized."

IGF evaluation implication:  Given that the Internet is a symptom of
a cultural shift towards ontologies of autonomy and self-
organization, we could ask - Has the IGF been an effective forum for
dialogue about how that particular cultural shift supports positive
impacts on development?

Second:
Although capacity is an emergent property and therefore the relation
of cause and effect is illusive, it is better to focus on capacity to
change behaviour than on the creation of wealth.  Capacity is defined
as, "that emergent combination of individual competencies and
collective capabilities that enables a human system to create
value."  (Heather Baser and Peter Morgan. Capacity, Change and
Performance. Study Report. European Centre for Development Policy
Management, Discussion Paper No 59B, April 2008. 34).

IGF evaluation implication:  The elements of capacity identified by
Baser and Morgan are entirely relevant to an assessment of IGF's
effectiveness and they include the capability to:
  - commit and engage
  - carry out technical, service delivery and logistical tasks
  - relate and attract
  - adapt and self-renew
  - balance diversity and coherence

But for me, the particular "human system" that should be central to
IGF's dialogue and its capacity to engage and to learn and to change
behaviour would be governance stated as e-governance.  I define e-
governance as "the uses of ICTs in the exercise of power by various
levels of government so that all people, particularly the poor and
marginalized, can influence policy, improve their livelihoods and
gain a greater voice in the public decision making process.  E-
governance changes behavior in relation to power in the direction of
open and collaborative communities of interaction."  We should ask -
Has the IGF process (and WSIS for that matter) advanced the
definition and therefore awareness of what e-governance and the
information society actually is?

Third:
Economies self-organize around beliefs about their components.  Their
"realities" are situational and unpredictable.  For example: “An
economy is not made of molecules whose behaviour is subject to the
laws of physics, but rather of human beings who are themselves
thinking about the future and whose behaviour may be influenced by
the forecasts that they or others make.” Ben Bernanke, Board Chief,
US Federal Reserve.  Speech to graduating class, Boston College Law
School, May 22/09

IGF evaluation implication:  I'm going to leave that one open for
others to think about, and finish with an anecdote.  Years ago when
Canada's national debt was enormous, I once (only once) went to a
dinner party where the participants included six economists.  After
dinner, I asked a question out of my own ignorance - Given that 75%
of Canada's national debt was then owned by Canadians, from a macro-
economic point of view was that a liability or and asset?  When my
wife and I left the party about an hour later, the economists were
still screaming at each other!

     governance at lists.cpsr.org