[governance] IGF review

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon May 25 10:49:32 EDT 2009

McTim,

This technology looks cool and I would love to be proven wrong on this
one...

(and the problem with Telekom from what I could figure out wasn't that it
was implementing bad policy directions from the government but rather that
the government was implementing bad policies directions from Telekom...
Maybe a new Minister of Communications in SA will get the order straightened
around...

Also, one of the severe limitations in relying on CS for achieving basic
connectivity is the difficulty of scaling... The project quoted from the
Shuttleworth site looks very interesting but as Shuttleworth and others well
know moving from a successful CS (or small entrepreneur) project at the
local level to any sort of national, regional or even significant
urban/peri-urban/rural deployment requires vastly more financial and human
resources (or the means to mobilize these at the local level) than any
current CS structure is capable of...

MBG