[governance] China: "we don't agree that the IGF should continue"

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Wed May 20 17:46:15 EDT 2009

some corrections.

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:54 AM, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy <
isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Rights Coalition, the fact that China endorses the theme of " Internet as an
> Opportunity for all" is postive and it shows China's inclination to feel
> very positive about the Interent.
>
>  >>under the theme of "critical Internet resource management," we think
> that JPA is a very important theme ... we're going to [discuss] this in
> September ... we should do it in IGF, too.
>

> This indicates that China does not feel that the JPA review in September
> would be conclusive. Yes, in all probability, the September review could be
> inconclusive, so China's opinion that Management of Critical Internet
> Resources should be prominently discussed is a valid point. Also, this
> implies that China feels that JPA review should stretch beyond the purview
> of US Government and the topic of JPA review by itself needs to be
> internationalized.
>
>  >>Thirdly, now, as to security, ... we need to talk about regrouping the
> energies and resources of all parties concerned and to strengthen the
> international mechanism in order to promote security and stability for the
> Internet at the worldwide level.
>
>  >>In order to guarantee the security of states and to guarantee the
> interests of citizens to fight against terrorism and other crimes, all
> countries have the right to filter the contents of certain Internet sites.
>  And I think that this is something that all countries are in the process of
> doing.
>

> Governments always tend to emphaize Security in such a way that Privacy and
> Openness are traded off in the name of Security. China says that all
> countries are in the process of filtering certain Internet sites and this is
> true and disturbing. While China is vocal about this, rest of the world are
> doing just that, in vaying measures such as by enacting legislations,
> prompting ISPs, changing policies or by publishing guidelines - so to say
> that several nations are rather SILENTLY implementing measures that
> compromise on all the fundamental values of the Internet. China is far more
> respectable than those nations that quietly pull up legislations, because
> China at least states its position unambiguously for the world to know.
>
>  >>IGF as a meeting hosted, under the auspices of the United Nations,
> talks about URL blocking.  Now, will this give an impression to the outside
> world that the United Nations are against content blocking?  Are the U.N.
> against the practice of certain states filtering some Internet sites so that
> when we talk about "blocking," should the theme of blocking be incorporated
> in our IGF meeting?  We have to be very careful about that.
>

> Interesting to note that China takes the views of IGF as that of the
> position adopted by the United Nations. It is also interesting to note that
> China talks in terms of a "RIGHT" to block content. (The rights approach is
> a double-edged sword. Max Senges, are you listening?)

(I want to add that I implied that I disagree with China's position that
Governments have a right to block content)

> [...]
> happens out there in legislative chambers of the world is completely
> unrelated to the discussions that take place at the IGF. Make a list of the
> policy changes and legislations enacted in various countries in the last 3
> years and examine if the legislations enacted in bits and pieces reflect the
> mood of the IGF in any way. I am alarmed by the seemingly unrelated bits and
> pieces happening in various countries that completely disregard the
> reflections at the IGF, especially in matters related to Privacy, Human
> Rights, Openness, Transparency and more importantly the mutli-stakeholder
> principle.
>
>  >>We can also see this kind of discussion taking place.  But it's not
> enough for developing countries who don't have enough resources and don't
> have the capacities to participate in this kind of dialogue without further
> commitments being made, which is why the points of view of developing
> countries, especially when it comes to Internet governance, their points of
> view are not sufficiently reflected in our discussions, which is why we
> don't agree that the IGF should continue its mandate after the five years
> are up.
>

> China's rationale is well explained in the above statement, but it has not
> come up with an acceptable alternative. My comment follows the next
> paragraph.
>
>  >>So we repeat that the delegation of China does not agree with extending
> the mission of the IGF beyond the five years ... we would need to look at
> the results that have been achieved.  And we need, then, to launch into an
> intergovernmental discussion...The work of its next phase should be based on
> the results achieved in the previous years.  We need to launch an
> intergovernmental discussion in order to solve the real problems that exist
> in this field of Internet governance.
>

> Yes, we need to take a very serious look at the results achieved with a
> particular emphasis on how the Governments of the world have IGNORED the IGF
> deliberations and ignored the mood of the IGF. But why "intergovernmental"
> discussions in place of IGF?  That would go towards ending the
> mutli-stakeholder principle. That implies an attempt to 'capture' the
> Internet and make it the sole 'property' of Governments?
>
> (Exactly the reason why the IGF should continue. The alternatives to IGF
> would be a complete reversal of the multi-stakeholder process. Irrespective
> of what little has been achieved, IGF should continue and STRENGTHENED to
> make it effective.)
>
> China's position needs to be a bit fine-tuned.
>
> The world needs to respond to China with plenty of respect for its views as
> it is a nation that is home to 1.35 billion. Some persuasive arguments are
> needed, a debate is needed with China in its positions on Security issues
> such as content-blocking, privacy, and mutli-stakeholder principle.

correction:  ... a debate is needed with China in its positions on issues
such as Security, content-blocking ....

> We might have enhanced receptiveness from China if the "monopoly" is
> conceded in favor of a balanced  governance. But balanced Governance in
> unilateral oversight needs to based on the multi-stakeholder principle.

Correction:  balanced Governance in place of unilateral oversight .....