[governance] China: "we don't agree that the IGF should

carlos a. afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue May 19 04:13:46 EDT 2009

MM, there is a lot of material, unfortunately mostly in Portuguese. And
there is a strong mobilization against the bill of law (called the
Azeredo Bill of Law, after the name of the senator who, lobbied by the
big banks, is pushing it through Congress). The minister of Justice has
made a strong statement against the bill as it stands now, but most of
Congress have no idea what the senator is talking about and will
probably vote in favor if he or she is from an opposition party.

For further info in English, try:

http://ubisurv.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/internet-surveillance-in-brazil/

http://ubisurv.wordpress.com/2009/01/24/internet-surveillance-in-brazil-2/

http://0fx66.com/blog/en/internet/ato-contra-o-ai-5-digital/

The law is especially pernicious in the case of free access services
(like free wireless networks, community telecenters etc etc). Thousands
of free access services would have to start doing logs and register
personal ID data on users -- and this is were the bill is at its worst.
Children would be required to identify themselves with formal documents
in order to use a terminal in a community telecenter and so on. The bill
also requires that content providers identify and record visitors !! The
funny thing is that most of the content services considered are in
foreign servers, far from the reach of Azeredo's claws!!

It will mean a brutal violation of privacy and freedom of expression,
and an incredible burden to all kinds of Internet services' operators.

Unlike Sarkozy, who wants to catch people doing P2P (who automatically
become suspects when doing it), the Azeredo bill turns every Brazilian
Internet user into a suspect, even a six-year old using a telecenter.

frt rgds

--c.a.

Carlos A. Afonso
Rits - Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor