[governance] Open Consultation issues: IGF review revisited

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Tue May 19 03:49:26 EDT 2009

Hi all,

the MAG summary reports results, it is not an account of all the debates
or positions presented (and rejected). If something is not mentioned in
the summary, it doesn't mean that it wasn't discussed.
As far as the various positions and their respective strength or support
are concerned, the transcript of the public consultation gives much
better insights than the MAG summary.

Rights and Principles were discussed intensively in the MAG meeting.
However, there was no consensus neither on R & R as the overall theme
for the IGF meeting nor as a topic for the main session. Again, read the
transcript and you get a pretty good idea who objected to a discussion
about rights. Geneva principles were suggested as a compromise between
those who wanted to so R&R discussed and those who adamantly refused it.
   WSIS principles provide firm ground and nobody can argue that they
are ill-defined (even if they clearly are) or not mentioned in the Tunis
Agenda. That is how we ended up with a main session on WSIS principles.

Details about the main session havn't been discussed yet. Although the
original intention regarding R & R is clearly lost, this topic is
flexible enough to accommodate at least some of the aspects relevant to
R & R.

This was a rather difficult MAG meeting. The trust among members that
allowed us to find creative solutions for contested issues wasn't there
this time. The upcoming evaluation may play a role here but it is
certainly not the only reason.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org