AW: [governance] China: "we don't agree that the IGF should continue"

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun May 17 06:09:32 EDT 2009

Avri asks the right question. What a Plan B could be?

If we consider that the whole process is bottom up it would be rather natural that at the top of national and regional IGFs there would be a global/international IGF. If it brings extra value to the stakleholders they will decide independently from an IGO to continue. If the IGF has got an authority and legitimacy in its own, there is no need to get the blessing from ALL governments.

The good question is when such a critical mass for continuation is achieved? So far we are still in the very early days of this experiment and I am afraind that there are folks our who want to kill the baby in the craddle. In the long run multistakeholderism undermines established (and comfortable) power positions. Be not surprised that some groups are not happy with this "unusual beast" called IGF.

This is one reason for my proposal to have a workshop/best practice forum in Sharm el Sheikh where governments, private sector, civil socierty and technical community stakeholders report to each other what they have learned in the last four years from the interaction with the other stakeholders. I would be interested to hear what the Chinese government (or the Brazilian, US, German, Saudi Arabian government) has to tell, what they benefited (or not) from dialogue with private sector, cibvil society and technical community. And I would be also interested to hear what Google & Co. have benefited from the IGF dialgue wioth governments, and civil society/the users.

BTW a UN General Assembly resolutions does not need consensus. It needs just simple majority of the member states, participating in the voting. Only in the security council China has a veto right, But the IGF is not an issue related to international security (could be later if cybersecurity is seen as an element of peace/war issues). With other words if there is a UN GA resolution from lets say 150 (in favour) : 10 (against) with 30 abstentions, it would be difficult for the Secretary General to say no.

Wolfgang