[governance] China: "we don't agree that the IGF should continue"

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu May 14 01:39:45 EDT 2009

For those who didn't follow the open consultation meeting yesterday,
China became the first to openly oppose the continuation of the IGF:

"Firstly, we very much appreciate the secretariat for their excellent
work.  We agree in principle with what has been said by previous
speakers on the specific aims of the IGF.  We feel that the IGF has
contributed a great deal in light of its historic mandate ...
establishing dialogue, exchanging points of view.  But this is not
enough to solve the problems.  The real problem is that in the field
of the Internet, there is a monopoly that exists.  And we need to
solve that problem. It's not by talking about principles merely that
we can solve this problem.

But it's not enough for developing countries who don't have enough
resources and don't have the capacities to participate in this kind of
dialogue without further commitments being made, which is why the
points of view of developing countries, especially when it comes to
Internet governance, their points of view are not sufficiently
reflected in our discussions, which is why we don't agree that the IGF
should continue its mandate after the five years are up.

So we repeat that the delegation of China does not agree with
extending the mission of the IGF beyond the five years.  We feel that
after the five years are up, we would need to look at the results that
have been achieved.  And we need, then, to launch into an
intergovernmental discussion."

I have blogged about this today (comments welcome, there or here):

http://igfwatch.org/discussion-board/china-seeks-to-end-the-igf

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org