AW: [governance] hearing on Internet Governance arrangements

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu May 7 07:18:08 EDT 2009

Jean-Louis, Francis,
please remember that regalian, civil, private, international
governance communities identified by the WSIS necessarily interfere
with creeds, cultures, national strategies, financial interests,
experience, and (most of all) degree of adminance (technical
governance) comprehension and influence. This means that Perry and
David have many axiologic underestandings and basic interests which
differ from yours and ours. They are legitimate when they try to
influence us. If we know our job and what we want, why would we care?

David and Perry,
our real problem is that EU seems to be in a phase where they try to
sell us an agreement we already suffered from in Tunis when it was
worked out by Martin Boyle and David Gross. This agreement, which is
now partly expressed by Vivian Redhering, consists in believing EU
will outsmart the USA, ourselves, ISOC, and the Australian influence
in ICANN and in the other parties agreeing to making them beleive they
are correct, while they try to adjust together. This agreement delayed
Europe (hence the whole Internet) and defeated the hopes of most in
Tunis. The Redhering communication is just a repetition of Martin
Boyle's one before Tunis. The resulting 9/30 deal will be the same.
The Zbig formula - international collaboration coordinated by the USA
"through" a sock puppet. Chris Dispain and AU for ccTLDs, may be
Catherine Trautman and EU for the Governments.

The question is to know if this is better for the internet users and
the people of the world than with a Tunis multistakeholder model
legacy that was unable in four years to lead us anywhere.

What is interesting is that initiatives like the PSOC (Louis Pouzin,
John Day) [http://psoc.org] or the IUCG/IETF (france at large and other
lead users) [http://iucg.org] may in the very meanwhile change what
you call the Internet so much that the whole thing will have to be
made again. These are the "emergences" foreseen by the WSIS that
should be covered by dynamic coalitions and managed through enhanced
cooperations.

There is actually not much interest in the ICANN "enhanced operations"
if they become foreign to the real people's and users' world. The
proper of innovation is that the more you settle, the more you stay
behind.

jfc
     governance at lists.cpsr.org