[governance] EC recommends a "G12" for IG

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue May 5 01:54:27 EDT 2009

Hello

These are my comments, as an individual:

To progress from G1 to G12 appears to be a good idea. Viviane Reding
proposes G12 as "an informal group of government representatives that meets
at least twice a year and can make, by majority, recommendations to ICANN
where appropriate. To be geographically balanced, this "G-12 for Internet
Governance" should include two representatives from each North America,
South America, Europe and Africa, three representatives from Asia and
Australia, as well as the Chairman of ICANN as a non-voting member.
International Organisations with competences in this field could be given
observer status.

The idea is that "it is not defendable that the government department of
only one country has oversight of an internet function which is used by
hundreds of millions of people in countries all over the world". At the same
time, the accountability of ICANN due to its "unique position of a global
quasi-monopoly... requires global management... [as] monopolies always
involve the risk of abuse. And who should ICANN be accountable to? Not the
UN, because "decisions on internet governance need to be taken swiftly".

So a G 12.

The G12 for Internet Governance differs from a NATO or OPEC, as it is
"informal" and "geographically balanced" with the inclusion of the ICANN
chairman as a "non-voting" member with "observer" status granted to
International Organizations.

Good progress. But a move by Governments to take over the Internet? Why
voting status to the Government 12 and observer status to the International
Organizations? I would, in my independent opinion prefer an I 12 for
Internet Governance with the twelve governments as Observers....

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
http://isocmadras.blogspot.com(the comments above are my own, entirely my
own, as an individual)