AW: [governance] hearing on Internet Governance arrangements

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun May 3 18:30:56 EDT 2009

In message <E708D331CAF44A2C8971F84D62D46677 at PCbureau>, at 18:19:04 on
Sun, 3 May 2009, jlfullsack <jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr> writes

><I agree it's likely to be more of a brainstorming session than people
>talking to Powerpoint slides>
>
>Sorry, this doesn't answer the first question I raised.

That's because I don't agree that CS were omitted from the meeting. Some
particular CS players may not have been invited, but why they were off
the radar is a different issue.

>< Invitations to attend have been in circulation longer than that.>
>
>Bis repetita : to whom were these invitations sent "longer than that" ?

That's not my information to divulge.

> The info appeared on our list on April 26th as an attached document.

That was when Jeanette (an early invitee I assume) got permission to
send a substitute, so she was asking for suggestions.

><the European IGF was a Parliament thing (sic), and this is the Commission>
>
>Definitely NO Roland Perry. Please refer to my report of the  EP
>January 2008 sitting I posted on our list.

The motion passed by the Parliament called for:

        "9.  Encourages the organisation of a 'European IGF' before
        mid-2009 to reinforce the European dimension of the whole
        IGF/WSIS process; requests its President to offer facilities for
        a preparatory event before the Delhi IGF involving EU
        parliamentarians;

Unfortunately they voted no funds, so the event had to be run as a
special hearing of the ITRE committee, and very late in the day.

>You'll find the approval of the Commissioner to the proposal made by
>the Catherine Trautmann, MEP and rapporteur of the Information Society,
>for a European IGF to be set up before the Hyderabad IGF.

No, a prep event before Hyderabad, and a European IGF "before mid-2009",
by which they meant "before this June's EU elections".

And organised by the Parliament, not the Commission.

>Thus, for your personal information I've pasted hereafter a small
>exerpt of my report.
>
><Conclusion by Commissioner Kuneva
>The following step : Consultations to be held in Geneva in February;
>the Commission will participate in the consultative group. EC is
>present in the WSIS process still its very beginning. She thanks
>particularly Mrs Trautmann and supports her proposal of a European IGF
>to be organized and held as soon as possible.

So the Commission supports the Parliament organising the event.

>Internet governance is a key issue and therefore the EC supports the
>analysis and suggestions of the EP delegation at Rio.

I was at Rio, and the Commission and Parliament delegations were quite
separate (as we would expect). There's nothing wrong with the Commission
supporting what the Parliament delegation said, though.

>Finally, I'd remind you that for the CS organizations, engaged in the
>WSIS process and in its actual follow-up, the IGF and its regional
>declinations (e.g. the European IGF) is not a "thing" of the EP, but
>still is one of our (we as European citizens) main objectives for a
>people centered and inclusive Internet, as proclaimed in the CS
>Declarations of both the Geneva Summit and the Tunis Summit.

You can organise your own "Euro-IGF" if you like. But be prepared for
even more confusion than already seems to exist.

Euro-Dig is on attempt at a similar activity, with a slightly different
name. Perhaps you need a branding exercise to come up with a third name.

>Nevertheless, I'm not astonished by your comments and advice since you
>are a distinguished member of the Internet industry.

A member yes. Distinguished? I don't claim that. All I'm trying to do
here (in my personal capacity) is help people understand the landscape -
discussion is good, but let's all be discussing the same thing.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org