[governance] Initiating discussion on "Internet

Ronda Hauben ronda.netizen at gmail.com
Sun May 3 15:47:29 EDT 2009

It is good to hear you are starting a newsgroup on IG4D.

But I hope it will discuss a broad range of IG4D issues, not limiting
itself to what you refer to as Internet Authoritarianism.

I hope it will discuss the significance of the new forms of democracy
made possible for the developing or developed
societies utilizing the Internet .

In South Korea last summer netizens online recognized the problem that
lowering the quality of beef imports into
their country because of pressure from the US and a change of how beef
is categorized under the World Animal
Health Organization (OIE), and there were over 100 days of candlelight
demonstrations to protest this imposition of neoliberal pressure on
the people of South Korea.

I have an article describing the important role of netizens in these
developments that I just did for OhmyNews International.

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?no=385169&rel_no=1
Netizen Journalism as Watchdog Journalism
Netizens and Candlelight 2008, creating new models for Democracy

best wishes

Ronda

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Jose,
> I would like to invite you and your colleagues to join the iG4D Centre
> (Internet Governance for Human Development) mailing list that I've set up to
> take forward the process on Internet Authoritarianism.
> Please subscribe by visiting: http://groups.google.com/group/ig4d
> Group email: ig4d at googlegroups.com
>
> iG4D Internet Governance for Human Development iG4D
> The Internet raises significant challenges for public policy and sustainable
> human development, both internationally and for individual nations. Internet
> Governance for Human Development (IG4D) is Civil Society platform for Human
> Development enabled through the Internet.
> --
>
> Regards.
> --------------------------
> Fouad Bajwa
> Founder - iG4D Centre (online)
> Internet Governance for Human Development
> http://groups.google.com/group/ig4d
> @skBajwa
> Answering all your technology questions
> http://www.askbajwa.com
> http://twitter.com/fouadbajwa
>

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:47 AM, <jfcallo at isocperu.org> wrote:
>>
>> (English)
>> Dear Fouad:
>> It is interesting analysis, but would like your opinion on a specific
>> theme and real has just happened and I believe that authoritarianism, this
>> time by a social network like facebook.
>> Facebook has just removed from the network or delete files from the
>> Peruvian Network Against Child Pornography (RPCPI) without explanation or
>> reason.
>> Would it not be that authoritarianism? it also comes from a social network
>> that is said propelling the Internet?
>> This is an authoritarian, unless you look like or other viewpoints.
>> Thank you
>>
>> (Spanish)
>> Estimado Fouad:
>> No deja de ser interesante su analisis, pero desearia su opinion en un
>> tema concreto y real que acaba de ocurrir y que yo lo considero un
>> autoritarismo, esta vez por parte de una Red Social como facebook.
>> Facebook, acaba de quitar de la red o borrar los archivos de la Red
>> Peruana Contra la Pornografia Infantil (RPCPI), sin explicacion ni motivo.
>> ¿acaso no seria esto un autoritarismo? que ademas proviene de una red
>> social que se dice propulsora de internet?
>> Esto es un autoritarismo, salvo otros pareces o puntos de vista.
>> Gracias
>> Jose F. Callo Romero
>>    Secretario
>>    ISOC Peru

Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook
     governance at lists.cpsr.org