AW: [governance] hearing on Internet Governance arrangements

jlfullsack jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Sun May 3 12:19:04 EDT 2009

"Roland Perry" <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote

<I agree it's likely to be more of a brainstorming session than people
talking to Powerpoint slides>

Sorry, this doesn't answer the first question I raised.

< Invitations to attend have been in circulation longer than that.>

Bis repetita : to whom were these invitations sent "longer than that" ?  The
info appeared on our list on April 26th as an attached document.

<the European IGF was a Parliament thing (sic), and this is the Commission>

Definitely NO Roland Perry. Please refer to my report of the  EP January
2008 sitting I posted on our list. You'll find the approval of the
Commissioner to the proposal made by the Catherine Trautmann, MEP and
rapporteur of the Information Society, for a European IGF to be set up
before the Hyderabad IGF. Thus, for your personal information I've pasted
hereafter a small exerpt of my report.

<Conclusion by Commissioner Kuneva
The following step : Consultations to be held in Geneva in February; the
Commission will participate in the consultative group. EC is present in the
WSIS process still its very beginning. She thanks particularly Mrs Trautmann
and supports her proposal of a European IGF to be organized and held as soon
as possible. Internet governance is a key issue and therefore the EC
supports the analysis and suggestions of the EP delegation at Rio.>

Finally, I'd remind you that for the CS organizations, engaged in the WSIS
process and in its actual follow-up, the IGF and its regional declinations
(e.g. the European IGF) is not a "thing" of the EP, but still is one of our
(we as European citizens) main objectives for a people centered and
inclusive Internet, as proclaimed in the CS Declarations of both the Geneva
Summit and the Tunis Summit.

Nevertheless, I'm not astonished by your comments and advice since you are a
distinguished member of the Internet industry. This is your perfect and
respectable right. But we the actual WSIS CS, and especially the European
one, we need more defining ourselves our beheaviour and guidelines than
"buying" advive from some Internet professionnals. Since we have at least
the same knowledge and experience, and what's more, we are citizens from our
countries, free and independant from any business, and profoundly committed
to improving the lives of peoples, in the North but also in the South. And
we do hope that ICT and Internet will strongly contribute to this aim.
That's why we are fighting i.a. for a suitable Internet governance.

Best
Jean-Louis Fullsack