AW: [governance] hearing on Internet Governance arrangements

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri May 1 12:38:26 EDT 2009

In message <169F4816BEC54B01A6CC3D5D6A654727 at PCbureau>, at 18:22:14 on
Thu, 30 Apr 2009, jlfullsack <jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr> writes
>A far as I understand there was no formal invitation to the CS involved
>in IG or generally in Internet issues for participating in this
>"hearing".

It's just a fancy name for a meeting, and I agree it's likely to be more
of a brainstorming session than people talking to Powerpoint slides.

>Second, as for the preceding ITRE Hearing, the announcement (to whom ?)
>was made just one week before the meeting.

Invitations to attend have been in circulation longer than that.

>Third, all these "hearings" don't replace an actual European IGF,
>promised to the EU citizens in January last year, because

... the European IGF was a Parliament thing, and this is the Commission.

>Therefore, the urgent setting-up of an actual Euro-IGF is the third
>point that should be strongly raised by (one of) our WSIS CS member(s).

Firstly, you are talking to the wrong people, and secondly it all
depends who gets re-elected, and whether the Parliament mandate to have
such a meeting is renewed. I suggest you lobby the reformed ITRE
committee after the summer.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org