[governance] FYI: Letter from Bulgarian Internet community

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun May 31 16:24:23 EDT 2009

At 21:43 31/05/2009, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>Er, how about the restructuring of the board to have a controlling
>number of seats for paying members than those who formerly controled ISOC?
>Isn't that a form a 'favoritism'?  (Apologies if I have the timing
>wrong, but wasn't that during your tenure?)

Dear George,
my point was not to raise a dispute. It was only to make clear that
as a sustaining member I understand I have no Trustee representing
me, that I understand the priorities of some, and that I have to
fight myself to sustain my own points of view against what I perceive
as a consortium oriented creep. Because I do not think that such a
creep is a good thing for the Internet. However, after years and
years where I tried to technically catalyze a positive evolution at
the IETF, after having been ignored, laughed at, I am now attacked (I
suppose you know what Gandhi said about that strategy). This means
that, unfortunately, a soft catalyzis will not succeed because some
big interests are at stake (that IAB documented this well in its RFC 3869) :

>    The principal thesis of this document is that if commercial funding
>    is the main source of funding for future Internet research, the
>    future of the Internet infrastructure could be in trouble.  In
>    addition to issues about which projects are funded, the funding
>    source can also affect the content of the research, for example,
>    towards or against the development of open standards, or taking
>    varying degrees of care about the effect of the developed protocols
>    on the other traffic on the Internet.

A network cannot be a place of conflicts. This means that we have to
compose. This means that since the current ISOC leadership does not
wish to represent "users" so much and does not express interest in
"people" (in the IGF/WSIS way) we had to:

1) organizea way for the ead users to contribute to the IETF (along
with RFC 3935 which organises the IETF). This is the purpose of the
IUCG (pls look at the Charter).
2) as you say, ask the ISOC current leadership their position. Since
they do not respond, the best was to be practical. I observed the way
they did not support the French Chapter when put under attack, may be
because that chapter has always been rebel to unique thinking. I
listened to the ISOC meetings when they came in Paris last year. I am
one of the few still being present on the French chapter list, now
under the direction of a new commer. I tested staff with the "IPv6
Users Chapter" proposition. I keep reading some of the texts coming
from leadership..
3) as a result to move ahead and document a modern vision of the
Internet that is able to match the users' needs, before the vendors'
strategic interests.

If ISOC is truely ISOC there must be room for everyone in it :
corporations, sustaining members, chapters, local members. I am not
sure it is still the case, nor that the staff wants it. I am sure I
want and we can make it to be the case. I am also sure I am not alone
in sharing your and others' anxiety that ISOC stays Membership's
driven. My test is the OK or not to permit us/me to form the "User
IPv6 Chapter" - we are perfectly legitimate to create.

Best.

jfc