FW: [governance] Program for Sharm El Sheikh - draft paper for

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Mar 28 00:13:39 EDT 2009

Just as a matter of fact, regarding this:

Paragraph 70, the Tunis Agenda says that globally applicable public policy principles should be developed: "Using relevant international organizations, such cooperation should include the development of globally-applicable principles on public policy issues associated with the coordination and management of critical Internet resources. In this regard, we call upon the organizations responsible for essential tasks associated with the Internet to contribute to creating an environment that facilitates this development of public policy principles."

Tunis Agenda, Paragraph 42: "We reaffirm our commitment to the freedom to seek, receive, impart and use information, in particular, for the creation, accumulation and dissemination of knowledge. We affirm that measures undertaken to ensure Internet stability and security, to fight cybercrime and to counter spam, must protect and respect the provisions for privacy and freedom of expression as contained in the relevant parts of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Geneva Declaration of Principles."

> > Again, this is a minority opinion. It was pointed out already in the MAG
> > meeting that no new topics could ever be addressed, if only those
> > explictely mentioned in the Tunis Agenda can make it onto the IGF
> > agenda.

Yes, but the point is that those themes ARE in the Tunis Agenda.
Did no one on the MAG point this out?
     governance at lists.cpsr.org