[governance] RE: the "rights" issue

Mary Wong MWong at piercelaw.edu
Thu Mar 26 12:28:25 EDT 2009

At the risk of devolving into a pedantic law professor, I'm jumping into
this discussion...

The word "rights" not only has several aspects and meanings, it's also
often used as an interchangeable or overlapping term for concepts such
as "powers", "privileges" and "liberties" (each of which also suffers to
some extent from imprecision.) There are, for example, legal rights and
(versus) natural/moral rights, individual and collective (group) rights,
etc.

Where governments are concerned, we need to distinguish between a
"state" and a "government" (and perhaps also a "nation" or "nation
state"), and between a state's sovereignty (and the autonomy and rights
that accompany that status) vis-a-vis other states, and its ability
(power) and corresponding duty to act towards its citizens.

I'm not sure that we're all using the word "rights" in the same sense,
and I think it would be awkward to use the same word to describe both
the kind of fundamental guarantees many of us would like to see in
relation to Internet users as well as the legal and factual powers of
governments.

As such, themes or titles along the lines of something like "User
Rights on the Internet: Citizens & Governments, Individuals & States"
might be more appropriate (though admittedly perhaps less of a "sexy"
clarion call.)

Just a thought,
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
(SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

>>> Sivasubramanian Muthusamy <isolatedn at gmail.com> 3/26/2009 11:37 AM

Hello Meryem,
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org>