[governance] Fora

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Mar 24 18:46:37 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Interesting that the former Cluster of WSIS-related eventS is now:
(1) renamed "THE WSIS Forum" (http://www.itu.int/wsis/implementation/
2009/forum/index.html), and
(2) designed and shaped in an IGF-like way (http://www.itu.int/wsis/
implementation/2009/forum/docs/draft-agenda.pdf). There is even an
opening and a closing ceremony.

On the other hand, the IGF themes and format have, since 2006,
evolved in such a way that they are closer to the WSIS follow-up
action lines discussions.

Given that we're approaching the time to "examine the desirability of
the continuation of the [IG]Forum", one might wonder what would
happen next, especially when the ITU Secretary General declares
(ICANN Cairo meeting, Nov. 2008):
"Coming back to what we do with ICANN, we also participate actively
in the work of Internet Governance Forum, which was established as
the result of the multistakeholder deliberations at the WSIS. I
personally believe that the IGF is just going around and around,
avoiding the topics, and becomes sometimes a waste of time. We need
to address issues frankly and try to solve them. And that's why I
thought I should be here to talk to you here, so that we learn to
know each other better. Next year, ITU will organize the World Policy
Forum, which addresses a number of Internet-related public-policy
issues, ranging from cybersecurity and data protection to
multilingualism and the ongoing development of Internet."

The ITU World Telecom Policy Forum (http://www.itu.int/osg/csd/wtpf/
wtpf2009/about.html) will be held on 21-24 April 2009, just one month
before THE WSIS Forum. This year, one WTPF main theme is
"convergence, including internet-related public policy matters".
Excerpt: "The crux of today’s Internet governance debate centres on
resource management, and in particular on the management of top level
domains, the allocation of IP addresses – and the regulations
stipulating who defines their associated rules."

Sounds like, while the IGF is beating around the bush for 3 years
now, the ITU is dribbling its way through. What about a convergence
between the WTP Forum and the WSIS Forum? What would happen to the IG
Forum, then?

Best,
Meryem

--
Meryem Marzouki - http://www.iris.sgdg.org
IRIS - Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire

     governance at lists.cpsr.org