[governance] Workshop on the role of Government in IG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Mar 24 04:50:40 EDT 2009

 >Role of Governments in IG is an interesting topic and needs to be
discussed. But in the context of multi-stakeholderism, why would the
Caucus single out >Government and propose a theme "Role of Governments
in IG" ?

I agree, the workshop should be on a title something like

"Global IG - the role of the governments, civil society and the private
sector'.

Just interrogating the role of governments is either reducing IG to CIR
management, or, if we are speaking of all aspects of IG,  it is a bit
presumptuous, in the sense that governments obviously see themselves in
'the' central role. We may want to challenge that, especially at the
global level, but best to do with a workshop with the above kind of a
title, that looking at the 'role of government in IG' which seem, at
least to me, to suggest that it was something of a new and developing
concept.

Parminder