[governance] Call for Action: Your comments can Support Civil

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 11:06:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>> Should not the caucus as a whole make a statement?
>
> Yes, that would be lovely. I'd be happy to develop a first draft for circulation here, or Robin Gross may be doing the same thing so I will check with her first. And it seems that if you and I can agree on someting like this, the entire caucus ought to be able to as well!

Well, the idea of making a statement doesn't mean we agree on what the
statement should say.

Either the docs are badly written, or I am confused, but it seems to
me there are 3 things going on here:

1. NCUC wants to morph into the NCSG...My reading of the doc that many
on this list seem to have shaped is that is quite negative.  For
example, the list of folks you exclude is just as long as the list of
people that are eligible.  It's way too complex for my liking, it's
got a very powerful Chair, a Policy Committee, which reads like a Star
Chamber, complex rules about how to join, who can vote, Constituency
building, etc.  What's wrong with one person one vote?  It's slanted
too heavily towards groups for my liking..let's empower the end user,
and make it easier for them to join and participate.

2.  There is a competing proposal to form the NCSG authored by Cheryl
B. Preston.  Mormon power play..nuff said.

3. There is a proposal to form a CyberSafety Constiuency within NCSG,
also by Cheryl B. Preston.  This is a non-starter for me, as "The
focus of the new constituency is Internet safety issues."   Which is
nothing to do with ICANN, nor should it be.

I can't support any of these 3 proposals frankly, nor should the
caucus, as our charter states: "Our vision is that Internet governance
should be inclusive, people centered and development oriented."

None of the 3 fit that bill IMHO.

--
Cheers,

McTim