[governance] Call for Action: Your comments can Support Civil

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Mar 23 10:15:18 EDT 2009

> Should not the caucus as a whole make a statement?

Yes, that would be lovely. I'd be happy to develop a first draft for circulation here, or Robin Gross may be doing the same thing so I will check with her first. And it seems that if you and I can agree on someting like this, the entire caucus ought to be able to as well!

> For that matter, we should also make a statement regarding the new
> "cybersafety" constituency proposal.

I would not oppose this but I am less keen on being negative than on being positive.

In other words, if the integrated, more democratic NCSG charter proposed by NCUC is adopted, there is nothing wrong with anti-porn, pro-censorship advocates having their own caucus/constituency within that framework. The difference is that they don't get guaranteed Council seats and they don't get to fragment civil society into warring factions competing for votes on a Council and constantly badmouthing each other. Whatever positions they get, they have to earn by gaining broad support among noncommercial stakeholders. Note also that there are already hundreds of expressions of opposition to the so-called "cybersafety" constituency proposal.

> If we spend the bulk of our efforts on IGF matters, and zero on the
> current system of IG, this caucus will never have any real influence
> on IG.

Absolutely agreed, McTim. Always puzzled by this gap....

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org