MAG meeting summary report -Re: [governance] open consultations

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Mar 3 22:29:21 EST 2009

On 03/03/2009, at 6:21 PM, Parminder wrote:

> 2) Another very important development is that concerned dynamic
> coalition are likely to be associated from the very start with the
> development of round tables. This first time gives DCs an
> (important) official role in the IGF process. Significantly, this
> role is in an area which may soon become the most important and
> looked-forward-to part of the IGF.

History has shown that there is an inevitable pulling back from the
developments apparently made following the annual February open
consultation meeting, however.  This time last year it was "debates".
The year before that it was "speed dialogues".  So I'm not too
confident that the round tables will see the light of day after ICC/
BASIS et al begin to sow the seeds of fear at the May consultations.

If I'm wrong, then yes it would be a positive development - but let's
not over-estimate how far it would take us.  The outputs being
proposed from these round tables are initiatives to which only those
around the table would agree to independently pursue.  They would be,
to adopt a phrase that found favour during the open consultations,
recommendations *at* the IGF, not recommendations *of* the IGF.

Certainly, that is valuable in itself and fulfills part of the IGF's
mandate - it's what I've called a network-building role, within its
larger mandate of coordination of Internet governance activities.  But
the normative weight behind an initiative that has been proposed and
adopted by a round table group is more limited than that it would
would carry if it had been adopted by the IGF as a whole.

So in my view, that remains the next step: to fill the missing link
that inhibits the IGF from collectively adopting an initiative for
action, or indeed from developing and collectively adopting a policy
recommendation.  The round tables proposal skirts around that problem
by limiting itself to cases where a consensus already exists - and is
therefore pretty much limited to the single case of child pornography.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7226 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org