[governance] open consultations and MAG meeting

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Mar 2 10:21:34 EST 2009

In message
<75822E125BCB994F8446858C4B19F0D7148D59D4 at SUEX07-MBX-04.ad.syr.edu>, at
09:22:18 on Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes

>For those of us who were not in Geneva, it would help to have a more
>objective recounting of the debate on "internationalization" of CIR.
>What issues and proposals were raised and what were the responses?
>Substance please, not conclusory judgments. There is not much benefit
>from an emotional assessment of something as "confusing" or "annoying".
>
>I can, however, see rampant confusion in these comments:

It's the "or national" I have a disagreement with - because the IGF is a
"Worldwide" organisation (to avoid potential confusion using the term
"International"). It can therefore have a role when the only existing
entities are national (or a small-multiple-multi-national).

>Most people who take the IGF seriously think that it should be able to
>assess and evaluate all existing IG institutions and processes. Of
>course this does not mean it attempts to "take over" those
>responsibilities or to duplicate their work, it simply means that the
>Forum is an independent deliberative capacity that can provide
>perspective and evaluation of other IG processes.

The theme that I took away from the public meetings last week was that
the IGF should work in those areas where an existing worldwide
*solution* to a governance "issue" isn't already covered. As far as I
know, for example, there isn't a worldwide anti-spam or anti-phishing
agency, so that would be within remit to discuss and attempt to combine
existing knowledge and skills.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org