[governance] The dawning of Internet censorship in Germany

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 17 20:29:01 EDT 2009

Unfortunately a few fools don't really see the problem here.

Child porn is a serious problem and restricting access to it is not about protecting children directly, it's about stopping paedophiles from accessing child porn. Children may benefit by stopping abuse.

To use the argument that blocking child pornography is ineffective is nonsensical. People still speed in cars yet there are laws against speeding. It certainly changes behaviour though.

However given the childish arguments put forward by people like Dambier, I wouldn't expect there to be much knowledge on such issues.

The issue is how far does such a list such as proposed by the German government, and also the Australian government, go. If it's used to block content such as child porn, great. If it goes further, then it's a problem.

Of course, other uninformed and nonsenical arguments such as put forward by Baptista that "If you want to protect children - legislate them off the Internet" are pathetic.

I'd love to know where Baptista's evidence is that the amount of child porn being produced is on the decline. How would you know?

Oh well, I guess expecting an understanding of the issues involved is just too much to be expected by those who have previously contributed to the debate.

David