[governance] Can anyone surf to peking university?

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Mon Jun 15 22:00:17 EDT 2009

Karl - I have no idea what your going on about - as usual.  In fact the site
you are a looking at is the English default site for Peking University.  The
site seen at http://xn--1lq90ic7fzpc.xn--fiqs8s/ is the same as
http://www.pku.edu.cn/ - the only difference is that one site is available
via an IANA TLD (.cn) and the other is available via a Chinese National TLD
(.xn--fiqs8s).  In fact in Chinese the proper URL for this is
http://北京大学.中国/ <http://xn--1lq90ic7fzpc.xn--fiqs8s/> and as you can see
uses Chinese characters.

This is not a surprise to ICANN nor any one else who has been paying
attention to China.  The Chinese National TLDs have existed since early 2005
- and were tested I think way back in 2003.

The only point I was making is that 300 millions people in China can see the
Chinese TLD system - the rest of the world under ICANN can't.  I don't even
thing the TLDA can see them.

cheers
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com