[governance] IGC workshops

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Sun Jun 7 06:02:33 EDT 2009

Hi Parminder,

On Jun 7, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Parminder wrote:
> I wonder if we can try and propose merger of our network neutrality
> workshop with another one on the same subject, and apply for a 3
> hour slot. We can point to the fact that in at least one country
> (Norway) all stakeholders have been able to agree to set of NN
> principles, and it is worth making such efforts at the global level.
> At the least we can try to agree to some  basic set of principles
> that flow flow from the defining characteristics of 'openness' and
> 'neutrality' of the Internet.

I agree.  We might want to consider widening the lens an little and
placing NN in the context of the whole NGN trajectory, of which it is
part and parcel.  The issue is the telcos/manufacturers/ministries
plans for the future of information infrastructure and the Internet by
extension.

On Jun 7, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Parminder wrote:

> It will be good to go through numerous statements on the IGF that
> the IGC has developed, including the recent one specifically on the
> subject of review, and pull out all key points from these. I think
> the current context and opportunity is to get as much of our
> perspective as possible into the synthesis paper on the comments on
> the subject of IGF review which will be presented to the IGF at its
> annual meeting. Our effort should be directed by this imperative.
> And since there is time till 15th July to give our comments to be
> included in this synthesis paper, we can pull out important elements
> from our earlier submissions, as well have  a good discussion on the
> subject on the list.

Saw this after replying to Ginger.  We agree again :-)  We have a
month, let's do it right.

Best,

Bill