[governance] IGC workshops

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jun 7 05:22:15 EDT 2009

Hi All

I see that 15th is the last date for final workshop proposals and 30th
for speakers. IGC has two workshop proposals and we will need to work on
this. Best to get working groups made for each. This is how it worked
the last time.

Meanwhile there is a proposal in the program paper that some workshops
that are sufficiently representative will be given longer time period -
3 hours, with a view of possibly seeking some useful convergences of
views. The precise language of the program paper is

"Merged workshops will be given the opportunity to bring their findings
to the attention of the related main session. If sufficiently
representative, merged workshops will be given three hour slots with the
aim of providing an opportunity to identify a range of best practices."

I wonder if we can try and propose merger of our network neutrality
workshop with another one on the same subject, and apply for a 3 hour
slot. We can point to the fact that in at least one country (Norway) all
stakeholders have been able to agree to set of NN principles, and it is
worth making such efforts at the global level. At the least we can try
to agree to some  basic set of principles that flow flow from the
defining characteristics of 'openness' and 'neutrality' of the Internet.

In order to give our best to leverage the new format opened up, perhaps
as a back up (since we have no proposed workshop on this subject) we can
seek a 3 hour workshop on developing principles and best practices in IG
in the area of disability rights - this would perhaps also complement
the current work in WIPO on copyright exception for the disabled.

On  a different note, we should also put in a request for a booth in the
IGF village for the IGC, last date fro which is 30th June. We took one
in Hyderabad, but it was not advertised among members and did not get
used. Such a booth is  a good meeting point for the caucus

parminder