[governance] US Congress & the JPA

Willie Currie wcurrie at apc.org
Fri Jun 5 11:34:01 EDT 2009

Hi George

Very defensive  body language from Paul Twomey, with his arms crossed...

I thought the line of questioning from Congressman Stearns on ICANN's
surplus was quite revealing. ICANN has a surplus of $7mil and is using
it to build a reserve fund which now stands at $34mil. So Stearns was
asking why ICANN as a non-profit doesn't reduce its fee structures, esp
as with the new GTLDs it will pull in $90 mil next year. Asked about
this, Dr Lenard of the Technology Policy Institute said that this was
related to the problem of accountability as ICANN is only accontable to
itself.

Willie

     governance at lists.cpsr.org