[governance] US Congress & the JPA

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Fri Jun 5 12:54:21 EDT 2009

Hi, Willie,

I thought that Congressman Stearns' comments were a mixture of the
most perceptive and the most uninformed (a curious mixture) of the
group.  He did not understand the difference between the ongoing fees
and the proposed fees for top-level new gTLDs.  He also did not
understand that non-profits in general are strongly encouraged to
have reserves equivalent to a year's worth of operating expenses.  He
also did not understand the limits of ICANN's mandate.

But his drilling down in the financial information, on Twomey's
salary, on this strange contract with an Australian company (of which
I have been informed that Ira Magaziner is a partner) that Twomey
claimed that the Board approved,  on the alternative uses of funds
that ICANN could chose, and in particular why there weren't more
funds dedicated to security and stability --- hey, what does that say
about the community's priorities  (!!!)   ---  was masterful.  In
fact, I think that the congressional staffs generally did a good job
in preparing questions.  The conversation was blunt and revealing,
with a minimum of political correctness, a model for learning that I
like very much.

It was an unfortunate hearing for ICANN.  The mood of the Congress is
such that the JPA is likely to be continued in some form or other.
Also, I think that NTIA came out of the process somewhat bloodied, so
that perhaps the next version of the JPA could be with another office
in our government.

Given also the presumed imminent change of ICANN's CEO, this is a
very interesting time for ICANN and for those related aspects of
Internet governance as well.

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org