[governance] Should IGF negotiate recommendations? (Re: IGC Statement -Questionnaire as of July 15)

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Jul 16 04:16:57 EDT 2009

Hi

On Jul 16, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Ian Peter wrote:

> Just so my position is clear I am happy with the “may suffer”
> compromise, or alternatively with Bill’s text. But as others are
> clearly opposed to Bill’s text and it won’t pass consensus, I  will
> not oppose  “may suffer”. The question now is whether inclusion with
> “may suffer” will be accepted in a consensus statement or whether
> the whole paragraph should be dropped. My reading is the paragraph
> should be in the text unless a a significant number of people oppose
> it.

Likewise, the text demanding recommendations won't pass consensus.
McTim is opposed, and I'm opposed, on procedural more than substantive
grounds.  Re: the latter, I'm not convinced that trying to negotiate
(yes, that's what would be involved) recs necessarily would turn out
to be disaster---it would depend on a whole bunch of unknowns about
modalities and focus etc on which open dialogue would be needed to
arrive at some clarity.  Equally, I'm not convinced that trying to
negotiate recs necessarily would be a panacea for all that ails the
IGF, or IG more generally.  But re: the former, I am definitely
convinced that we cannot move forward via processes in which one side
of a polarized discussion wins by sheer persistence, waving away the
other side's views, implying that if people don't agree then they are
spineless jellyfish unwilling to stand up for the public interest, etc.

How a statement saying caucus members have various views but all want
an open dialogue on the matter could be unacceptable is beyond me.
Even for people who want the IGF to be doing recs, I don't think
insisting on this ex ante makes tactical sense.  Calling for an open
dialogue on the matter would seem more likely to provide a lever to
nudge things in the "right" direction (let's see who would stand up
and oppose an open dialogue) than simply demanding something that many
other key parties strongly oppose.

On Jul 16, 2009, at 7:33 AM, Parminder wrote:

> I am not sure about the other side's position, and the firmness of
> it. Ian did agree earlier to the 'non-binding' part - and to the
> whole statement as it stands. Bill strongly suggested that it is not
> really so much his view (correct me if I am wrong but that is what I
> read from his email) but  that of some significant others. Now who
> are these hidden others who do not want to step up and share their
> views. And if they do not care to, IGC statement can go without
> their views. The basis of IGC's positions is deliberation based
> consensus, and if people do not want to submit to this then it is
> entirely their choice.

We have been talking about recommendations off and on for four years
now.  Back when WGIG released its report in July 2005 I think we
expressed cautious support for the idea of recs--indeed, those of us
in the WGIG CS contingent were much involved in writing the text that
morphed into the TA mandate---because at that point the IGF was an
abstraction, and some of us certainly were hoping for a more
substantial institutional formation in which it could have worked.
But after IGF was established, basically as an annual conference,
people's thinking evolved in different directions, and I don't recall
(anyone else?) that we ever again expressed support for recs in the
many caucus statements to follow.   I don't have time to go digging
through the list archive, particularly since our subject lines are
frequently not indicative of message content, but at various points
along the way I believe that people like Wolfgang, Jeanette, and Adam
have spoken against recs (don't want to put words in their mouths,
they can please correct me if I'm wrong) and that others have as well.

That many people are for whatever reasons are not participating in
this discussion does not mean we should just wave away their
previously expressed stances.  As Parminder agreed, "you snooze you
lose" is not a good basis for consensus decision making.  Of course,
if those who opposed before now want to reverse and support rec
negotiations, that would change things, but absent that it's not a
consensus position in my view.

Best,

Bill