[governance] How do ICANN's actions hurt the average Internet

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Tue Jul 7 18:11:15 EDT 2009

Eric,

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but I'm not sure that I fully
understand your answer.

So if your substitute question is "How does ICANN help the average
Internet user?"  --  my first (but not the only) response would be
that it runs a hierarchical naming system that permits users, if they
wish, to obtain a name from a moderately restricted set of
categories, and the system includes registries that permit these
names to be dynamically resolved to IP addresses that are necessary
to ensure that traffic flows to where it should. It also works to
prevent the fraudulent use or hijacking of names at several levels.

I suspect that you will agree with the above description, and that
your concern is rather that it should do more to help individual
Internet users.  What more, very specifically, should it do?

And in particular, what more should it do for the vast majority of
Internet users who don't have a domain name themselves but just use
the DNS to access Internet-based resources and communications?

George