[governance] How do ICANN's actions hurt the average Internet

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Tue Jul 7 17:59:56 EDT 2009

Karl,

I think I understand what you are saying - that in the past
individual registrants who signed up with TLDs that had not been
explicitly approved by ICANN lost registration rights and had to
re-register with an ICANN-approved TLD to obtain a domain name.  That
appears to be historically correct.

However, apart from these incidents, can you identify any current
harm that ICANN is doing to individual Internet users?  You might
argue that continued restrictive expansion of the name space is
harming users, but I think that this is more like not allowing
drivers to obtain the vanity license plates that they want for their
cars  -  it does not stop them from obtaining their license plates
with another background or tag number, and they can they drive
anywhere that anyone else can drive.

Do you agree with this, or can you identify specific current harm
that ICANN is doing to the individual Internet user?  Some current
Internet users are, of course, registrants, but more are not and just
user the Internet.

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org