[governance] IGF consultations - extending IGF's mandate

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Jan 20 18:58:31 EST 2009

I've been reviewing the inputs under this topic against the synthesis paper
we prepared and submitted last September (attached by Parminder earlier,
also available from http://www.igcaucus.org/node/6 )

What I read suggests that our statement adopted last September stands up
pretty well and is a good basis for February consultations. However in terms
of added emphasis and new content, I draw your attention to the following

>From Parminder

We should also assert that there are two clear, and relatively distinct,
mandates of the IGF -  first, regarding public policy functions, as a forum
for multistakeholder policy dialogue, and second, regarding capacity
building. Both aspects of the IGF's role needs to be strengthened.
Especially, one role (for instance, capacity building) should not be
promoted to the exclusion of the other (policy related role). If the IGF is
assessed not to be sufficiently contributing to its one or the other
principal roles, adequate measures should be considered to improve its
effectivenesses vis-a-vis that role.

Do we agree with this summary?

Again from Parminder

The IGF should be assured stable and sufficient public funding to be able to
carry its functions effectively, and impartially in global public interest.

And from Jeanette

Our recommendations should emphasize that the IGF needs its mandate extended
so that it can evolve. The small secretariat with its direct connection to
New York has been a successful arrangement that provides flexibility. I
think it is important that no other UN organization gets involved in the
IGF's management.

Any thoughts on this?

Most other comments seem to be effectively covered - are there any
additional thoughts not in our last submission or not covered above? We
should move towards a synthesis paper draft shortly.

Ian Peter
PO Box 429
Bangalow NSW 2479
Australia
Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
www.ianpeter.com

     governance at lists.cpsr.org