[governance] IGF consultations - extending IGF's mandate

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Jan 21 09:59:05 EST 2009

I have some thoughts about that. While I basically agree with the idea that no other UN organization needs to get involved in IGF's management, I am not so happy with the "direct connection to New York." There is a complete lack of transparency there. This is mainly an issue with respect to the MAG appointments; essentially civil society and other stakeholders helplessly "suggest" names to the Secretariat which then, with absolute discretion and using criteria we don;t see or understand, makes selections. I understand both the pros and cons of this arrangement, but would prefer a more democratic arrangement in which stakeholder groups actually choose their representatives.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org
     governance at lists.cpsr.org