[governance] IGF consultations - extending IGF's mandate

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jan 17 01:20:07 EST 2009

Dear All

The Feb open consultations of the IGF have a specific purpose of getting
views on the issue of extending the IGF's mandate. This issue will be
considered by CSTD (commission of science and technology) and later UN's
ECOSOC in 2010. The WSIS (world summit on the information society)
mandated that the decision on the issue will be taken in 'consultation
with IGF participants'. It is the first time that open consultations
will be for 2 days, and the reason for this is that oneday will be
exclusively devoted to considering this particular issue.

Now, it is not entirely clear if 'IGF participants' are only those who
gather for the annual IGF, or the open consultations also in some form
comprises of IGF participants. In any case, the open consultations in
Geneva are supposed to give MAG its directions, and since MAG takes all
process decisions, inputting into the forthcoming consultations can have
important bearing on the process that will be followed in terms of what
may constitute 'consultations with forum participants' for deciding on
continuation of the IGF. However, I am of the opinion that we should
also put in our substantive comments on the continuation of the IGF
right away.

Just to kickstart the discussion, my view is that;

(1) First of all we should clearly, and unambiguously, state that we
will that IGF has a crucial and unparalleled role in the area of IG,
specifically global public policy making in this area. For this reason,
not only the IGF should be continued beyond 2010, but it should be
suitably strengthened.

(2) We should also assert that there are two clear, and relatively
distinct, mandates of the IGF -  first, regarding public policy
functions, as a forum for multistakeholder policy dialogue, and second,
regarding capacity building. Both aspects of the IGF's role needs to be
strengthened. Especially, one role (for instance, capacity building)
should not be promoted to the exclusion of the other (policy related
role). If the IGF is assessed not to be sufficiently contributing to its
one or the other principal roles, adequate measures should be considered
to improve its effectivenesses vis-a-vis that role.

(3) The IGF should be assured stable and sufficient public funding to be
able to carry its functions effectively, and impartially in global
public interest.

Also is enclosed the contribution IGC made late last year to the
synthesis paper on this subject.

parminder