[governance] IGF consultations - extending IGF's mandate

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Jan 17 03:49:45 EST 2009

Parminder, while not disagreeing with the substance of what you have
suggested below, I think the question is not so much "getting views on the
issue of extending the IGF's mandate"

The agenda item is "preparing the review process".

In the questionnaire circulated by the Secretariat, this is phrased as

"The Tunis Agenda calls on the UN Secretary-General "to examine the
desirability of the continuation of the Forum, in consultation with Forum
participants, within five years of its creation, and to make recommendations
to the UN membership in the regard". This consultation will have to take
place at the Sharm El Sheikh meeting. How should it be prepared?"

Rather than predetermining the outcome of the consultation, I think there
will be a large emphasis on what the process of consultation should be, (
and a belief that the process should determine the outcome rather that our
thoughts at this stage). Please let me know if you have information that
suggests otherwise.

If that is the case, we should concentrate more on what the process should
be. From our previous statement, we have

"As mentioned in the TA, the process of review should be centered on
consultations with Forum (IGF) participants. These consultations should be
both formal and informal. It is important to lay out clear formal processes,
apart from informal ones. It may also be very useful to go beyond IGF
participants to reach out to other interested stakeholders, who for
different reason may not attend the IGF meetings.

In reaching out, the process of consultations should especially keep in mind
constituencies that have lesser participation in IG issues at present, not
due to the fact that they are not impacted by IG and therefore may not have
legitimate interest in it, but because of various structural issues. In this
context, it is especially important to reach out more to constituencies in
developing counties.

Since the IGF has had 'development' as a central theme, it is important to
make special efforts to reach out to various actors involved in development
activity, including those of civil society. Other groups with lower
participation in IG issues like women, ethnic minorities and disability
groups should also be especially reached out to.

It is not therefore enough to announce open consultations, but tangible
efforts to reach out to different stakeholders and constituencies should be
made.

If it is found necessary to do a expert evaluation to help the process of
review, the process of selecting the 'experts' should be based on
transparent rationale, and follow an open and transparent process. It is not
advisable to rely on a pro bono evaluation, by any agency that offers it,
for such a politically sensitive and important assessment. In selecting
'experts' possible biases should be anticipated and accounted for. Due to
the primarily (global) public policy mandate and role of the IGF, the
selected experts should have adequate expertise in matter of global public
policy and policy institutions. In view of the geo-political significance of
IG, it may be useful to have a reputed public policy institution in the
global South do the evaluation in partnership with one such institution from
the North. Even if reliance on existing global institutions is sought, there
should be adequate balancing of perspectives, and partnerships are a good
way to ensure it. "

I suspect that the discussion will move towards clarifying an acceptable
process, and other comments may be left aside for later consideration. In
that case, are we happy with our comments from last September or is there
something we should add?

Ian Peter

PO Box 429

Bangalow NSW 2479

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com

  _____